Classic digital radiography (DR) cannot deliver any depth information of defects in X-ray images. As it is a purely two dimensional technology the viewer can just tell that there is an error, but never how deep it is inside the material. Nevertheless, in some applications it is a big difference if the error is close to the surface or deep inside the part. Another interesting metric is the exact defect-volume, which is impossible to determine in 2D images.
To retrieve the reconstruction data, the X-ray system needs to be capable to perform the synchronized mechanical movement. Our XRH222 for example has precise and programmable drives to acquire all needed images. Physical X-ray hardening through hardware filters is applied through a filter unit. In parallel the image quality needs to be enhanced in the background to further increase the quality and reduce artifacts. The intermediate result are thousands of X-ray images that will be passed on to the reconstruction suite. To allow a smooth workflow all processes are automated through the Xplus Handle, which leads to a one button operation principle.
- Information about error volume, distance, wall thickness etc.
- Optional in-line CT for automated 3D ADR evaluation
- Independent of material type and density
- Flexible scanning area depending on the detector size
- Fast reconstruction (< 3 min) using the VisiConsult QUICKscan
- 3D reconstruction and comparison to CAD data
- Sophisticated defect and porosity inspection