Manufacturing aluminum castings with inner cores has various pitfalls. A sand core inserted into the mold is very fragile and can be damaged either when handled or in the actual casting. Also, when the final product is de-cored, a portion of the core can be left inside. All of these defects may have disastrous consequences for the final product.
LightThru is a system primarily intended for the manufacture of cylinder heads and engine blocks, where production takes place through conventional aluminum alloy gravity casting in semi-permanent
sand core molds. The sand core sometimes breaks or is otherwise damaged, and the cavity becomes completely or partially blocked after the core is removed. Because the channel no longer works properly, it can, and usually does, adversely affect the engine’s life and performance. In addition, detected core remnants and chips captured after machining reduces the risk of complaints about engine operation or of car accidents caused by the problem not having been caught before assembly.
Advantages and Benefits
- 100% automated inspection of production;
- Very short inspection cycle times;
- Inspection of branched ducts in a casting;
- Localizing the defect within a casting;
- Greater range of inspection in the casting compared with conventional solutions;
- Reduced investment costs when integrating multiple measurements in one facility.
- Detection of full blockages in channels caused by sand core defects;
- Improper de-coring;
- Penetration of the metal into the core;
- Detection of partial blocakges;
- Flashes jammed in the casting channels;
- Poor connection between multiple cores.